When your constant companion gets old

I have matched many, many dogs with humans in my lifetime. I have a pretty good track record as far as that goes but one of my most successful matches really had nothing to do with me and all to do with the adopter.
When Wylie, a Catahoula Leopard Hound mix was returned to the HSSC once again, I despaired in ever finding him a home. He was blind in one eye, deaf in the other ear and as skinny as a model, but he didn't look like a model.
I was so mad when he was returned once again to the shelter, I wrote a blog item in "Chew On This" which was the blog I wrote while at the Herald-Tribune. The following morning I had received an email from one of my co-workers asking was he still available or had he found a home. Laura was not looking for the perfect dog. In fact, she was taken with Wylie's photo and for some reason, wanted to know about him. I explained he was blind in one eye. I told her about his deafness. Everything which had turned most adopters off didn't faze Laura. She took her time, introduced Wylie to other dogs he might be around, brought her family up to meet him, even though they didn't live with her and thought long and hard to make sure he was the dog for her.
Once she adopted him, he has had the best care which could be provided for him and I have followed his antics mostly through Laura's column, when she writes about her companion. These columns have made me both laugh and cry and I am thankful there are humans like Laura, who are willing to give a dog a 5th or 6th chance.
So although I knew this column was coming, when I read it I cried. Wylie cannot possible be that old. No how, no way. But then I start counting the years and I realize he is that old.
So check it out here and let Laura know if you enjoy it. She is one of the good guys.

Comments

Popular Posts