Charlee, a Burmese Lab mix still needs a home

I posted Charlee a week or so ago and she has still not found her forever place. She is being boarded until space frees up at Satchel's Last Resort but we all know that is expensive and we would love to find her a home before she ever makes it to a kennel. Please read her story below and post and crosspost to anyone who might give her a permanent, forever home.
UPDATE: It is now past August 4th and Charlee is being boarded until Satchel's can squeeze her, in so if you are interested in meeting Charlee, please contact Satchel's directly at 941-924-5070 or comments@satchelslastresort.com.

Hi, my name is Charlee and this is my story. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed living it so far in my short one and a half years I have been alive. I was born outside in the bushes where my relatives use to be fed by some animal loving people. Teri, would provide the nice people with food so that when she could not feed them they could.
Let’s back track a little to my Aunt Lucy’s life. She and my mother, No
Name, are street dogs from Yangon, Burma. Teri loves and tries to help all the street dogs but she had a special bond with Lucy. On her way to school Teri would see Lucy on the street and quickly fell in love with her and worried about her as she got skinnier every day. Teri started feeding her daily in hopes to save her along with Lucy’s brother, sister and father. She loved Lucy and would have loved to have brought her home, but Lucy was very timid from her life of being a Burmese street dog. Even with the compassion and food that Teri gave to Lucy she still got sick as many street dogs do and she died. Teri was broken hearted and buried her in her yard. The other sad thing is my Grandfather and Uncle were poisoned by the Government and also died soon after. The only one left was my mother, No Name, who was pregnant with me.
November 13, the same day Lucy died, I was born along with my 4 sisters. Living in the bush near the street was not great. We had lots and lots of fleas and sores all over our bodies. When Teri saw us she was really distressed about the condition we were in and didn’t think we would survive for long so she took us to her home where we were cleaned up and given medical attention. I had this big cyst on my chest which had to be drained about every other day for 2 weeks.
After we were all healthy, Teri found us all great homes. I stayed with Teri and her family because I looked a lot like my Aunt Lucy whom she really missed. Oh, did I mention that Teri already had three dogs and two cats. They had all also been rescued by her. At first I got along with everyone and they really loved playing with me, I think it was because they were all bigger than me. As I grew and grew pretty soon I was the biggest dog in the house and began to be a bit of a bully. Soon the other dogs would always hide if they saw me coming. We had to be separated because Teri was worried I might hurt them.
Teri then rescued another puppy she found in the ditch in front of her house. She was lucky like me. Teri named her Suu Kyi which is short for Aung San Suu Kyi a famous Burmese woman who won the Noble Peace Prize. Suu Kyi and I got along really well and we played and played and played, but I was still not very nice to the other three dogs. Because of this Teri tried to find another family that would be willing to take me. She would then still be able to come and visit me because she really loves me. The problem was that it was the end of the school year and most people leave for the summer. Teri has a very nice man, Phillip, who stays at her house and takes care of her pets in the summer. But because of my naughty behavior, she did not feel she could leave me for the summer with her other pets. She could not and would not put me back on the street. So she decided that I should come to the United States and get some dog training and hopefully find a new home in a new land. Teri got all the paper work taken care of for me to travel. Well, thankfully for me everything just happened to get done in time for me to get the chance to travel to the USA. As lucky as I am to be here in Oldsmar today, getting here was one heck of a 48 hour trip that I am so happy is over.
At 0730 I was put into my dog cage for the flight to Bangkok. We took off from Yangon at 0950 and arrived in Bangkok about an hour later. I was taken to a holding area where I had to stay until my next flight, which was going to be about 7 hours after I arrived. Teri was really worried about me so she bribed some people to let her come check on me and boy was I happy to see her. She gave me some water and a few treats. She stayed with me for about an hour and was very sad to leave me. She cried a lot. I was sad to see her leave as well. So the next flight from Bangkok to Los Angeles took almost 15 hours, wow that was a long time to be locked up in a cage. I know Teri was really nervous and wishing I did not have to go on such a long flight.
Well the long flight eventually ended and I was finally taken to see Teri and after clearing customs I was allowed to get out of the cage and touch the ground of the USA with my own paws for the first time. I sniffed and sniffed and just wanted to run all over the place. I was so happy to find an area where I could go to the bathroom. Teri and I had to take a different flight from the rest of the family because the airline they were taking did not take dogs during this time of the year. So, while they headed off to catch their flight, Teri began to cry again. I think she must have cried about 5 pounds of tears during this trip. We had a terrible time in the Los Angeles Airport. We had to spend the night outside. It was not fun and we were both kind of scared. Anyway to make a long story short (Honestly you need to hear Teri’s story of how this night went…) I finally arrived at the Tampa airport on Tuesday, May 30th at about 6 pm. Once out of the airport I was let out of the cage and hope that I NEVER HAVE TO GO INSIDE THAT THING EVER AGAIN. Or at least not for a long time if I have the choice.
After about week or a little more of trying to get adjusted to life in America, I started working with Debbie. She is helping me learn what is needed to be an adoptable dog. I have been working really hard and have appreciated all the help and support that I have been getting not only from humans but also from my two new dog friends Simba and Brie. They all have been taking walks with me in order to get me ready to join a new house as a “good” dog.
Other things I am working on is learning to swim in a pool and not bark atpeople when they come in the house. I love to lay out in the sun from time to time during the day. I can use a little doggie door to go in and out of the pool area to the fenced in yard. I think that I have improved a lot as far as being more social with strangers.
There is also no need to worry about potty training I have had that mastered for a long time. Fixed you ask? Already taken care of, and all my shots are up to date and on file in my very own doggie doctor book.
I am a great dog and will be very, very loyal to whoever gets me and can put up with my current opinions and weird ideas of how I think things should be. I don’t think I have mentioned yet that I can sit, shake and lay down on command. I sometimes am still a little “grumpy” when I am sleeping and someone touches me but I am trying hard to UNLEARN that bad habit. I love going for walks and I love my toys that I have and will bring them with me for your comfort and mine. I am willing to sleep in your bed if you allow me but I am a good sized dog and of course there is the current issue I have about being grumpy if I’m sleeping, but I am also very, very happy to sleep on something comfortable in any other part of the house.
I look forward to a life with whoever is lucky enough to get what could be the VERY FIRST BURMESE STREET DOG allowed in the USA (in case you didn’t know the USA has an embargo on ANYTHING being brought in from Burma (Myanmar) to the USA). It is a totally political thing and does not really mean that much to me since I have now been lucky enough to become an unofficial American and will agree with what my new FAMILY wants me to believe.
Well it has now been 6 weeks since I have arrived in the USA. Man have I learned a lot and been through some really positive learning experiences. I have also now become friends with Koda whom I have been on few walks with. I am getting in my hour long walks every morning, I have really begun to like sitting outside even in the middle of the afternoon as long as I have some shade to hide in after enjoying the sun for a while. I honestly feel that I have mellowed and will really make someone a great pet.
I am NOT afraid of thunder or the all the noise that the 4th of July provided. I even go outside to the pool deck and fenced in yard at night in the dark all by myself. Speaking of pool area, no worries if you don’t have one, I still don’t like to go in the one I have here so I don’t mind no pool at all.
I want you to add to this great life that I have had so far. Believe me, once we get through the initial phase of me getting use to you I WILL BE THE BEST DOG EVER!!
I consider myself very lucky to be off the street where so many dogs suffer and die. I wish I had behaved better with Teri’s other pets, and I don’t blame her for worrying so much. She loves all of her animals so much. She would love to stay in touch with whoever takes me and would of course love to visit me whenever she can.
So that’s MY LIFE up to date. Please help me continue being lucky by finding me a forever home.

Comments

Popular Posts