A proud mom

I am going to brag in this spot. If you don't have children, you won't appreciate this so don't bother to read it.
I am a firm believer in education. I think everyone should learn continually. I believe it keeps our minds strong and we should question and argue when we disagree or agree with points of view.
When my son, Jeremy, was small, I read to him every night because if you read to a child, they will develop a love of the written word. That didn't happen in Jeremy's case.
When he started school, I was always available to help with homework or visit with his teacher. I made cupcakes and was a room mother. I did all those things to support him while I was trying to get him educated.
The truth was after thirteen years of school, Jeremy quit because for most of those 13 years he did absolutely as little as possible in school. Now, he loved school, but not for the education. His joy was the social activities and sports he could participate in. Time and time again he would tell me he didn't see the value of school and couldn't wait to be grown up so he didn't have to go to school any longer.
At 25, he went back and got his GED but anything beyond that was a foreign thought for him. I could never quite figure out where I, as a parent, had gone wrong. I had dreams of him going to college after high school and getting a degree in something.
Around Christmas last year, Jeremy called and asked me about moving back in with me to save money because he was going to go back to school. I was ecstatic but I could not imagine him actually doing that.
So he is living with me again and in college. His first class this summer he received a B. Wow, maybe he did actually learn something in high school. When he began his second class, which was a class in American Government, I had worries. His strength is not in essays or writing and I worried he was in over his head. At 33, he knows enough about government to pass a multiple choice test. His mother, after all, has a degree in Political Science. A Power Point Presentation and several essays could be the ending of his college experiment.
Imagine my surprise when he let me know today, after studying one night, he had made an A on his final which gave him an A for the course.
I am a very proud mom at this moment. It may have taken him several years of adulthood to figure out he might need an education. I guess the nut really doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Comments

Popular Posts