Unbelievable and depressing numbers

I like to think I live in a very progressive area. We have educated, artistic, giving, caring people who live in this area and most have some kind of pet. I speak, sometimes weekly, on the value of spay/neuter, abolishing backyard breeders, the value of training and education and on and on.
I hope every item I write has an impact on someone. Perhaps someone will adopt a pet. Maybe they will have their pet spayed or neutered or sign up for a behavior class.
Then I start goofing off on the internet just to see what I can dig up and I decide to check out petfinder.com, where I recommend everyone begin their hunt. Now, I will preface this by saying there are still rescue groups in this area, including Sarasota County Animal Services, who do not use Petfinder so you can just average those numbers in if you go to their website.
On petfinder.com, if you are looking for a dog, put in your zip as I did, 89 pages of dogs came up. 89 pages of dogs in this area. Each page has 25 dogs who need homes for a total of 2,225. This doesn't even include cats so you could double it and still not come close.
These numbers are APPALLING. What are we doing to our pets? Where are all these unwanted animals coming from? Is no one listening?
It is pretty sad when one of the most progressive areas of Florida still show these kind of numbers. Can you imagine what poorer, rural area numbers are like and how many animals are dying on a daily basis. It simply makes me sick.

Comments

Popular Posts