Enjoying the days

Sometimes when we least expect it, we have a couple of days in a row which turn out so good, we simply want them to last for a long time.
I love the ambience of Sarasota. The ability to have a spur-of the minute, unexpected lunch with my sweetie watching the water and the birds in all of Sarasota's beauty gives you the ability to forget the bumper-to bumper traffic and all that entails this time of year. All the frustrations we feel during tourist season fall away while seeing the dolphins frolic in the bay or the sandhill cranes slowing making their way, very unconcerned through a cow pasture.
Then this morning, I took Buzz to visit my Mom, who lost her little dog several months ago but due to her health, cannot care for another.
I don't believe Buzz was ever exposed to a car (or in my case, truck) ride with the windows down, breeze blowing, enjoying the day, kind of trip. He sat, or should I say cowered on the front seat, awaiting his destiny. I think he believed he was being taken somewhere he didn't want to go.
I always travel the backroads on trips home or to Orlando because they remind me of how much I love this state I call home and how much I appreciate the natural beauty of it. I was not disappointed this morning.
When we finally got out of the traffic and on the back roads, the wildlife was out in full force. I saw some gators resting in the morning sun on the side of a pond, several snakes making their way across the warm road and the normal dead coons and possums with flocks of buzzards cleaning up their remains.
The highlight of the morning trip was a beautiful bald eagle, which made me actually stop the truck, get out and watch. The nest was on a light pole and the eagle was feeding chicks and I have never actually seen a bald eagle in person feeding babies.
Then more gators, several deer and even a huge flock of sandhill cranes in a cow pasture, which I almost missed because they blended in so well with the dirt and browned grass. The groves were loaded with orange fruit, the tomatoes were turning red and the beans were coming up in the planted fields and I remembered once again, how lucky I am to live in such a wonderful place, brimming with wildlife and wide, open spaces. To anyone who simply does not see this beauty in my beloved state, please contact me. I will try and explain it to you.

Comments

Popular Posts