Sarasota. The new Key West?

I like the idea of fresh eggs. I like the idea of being able to have laying hens out back so when I wanted fresh eggs, I could have them.
I don't like the idea of chickens wandering aimlessly about because their owners decided they didn't want them any longer.
I am sure this idea has merit and the folks in Sarasota proper who want to keep chickens are all great pet owners.
But has anyone questioned what will happen to these chickens if their owners decide they are too much work, are moving somewhere that doesn't allow chickens, can't afford to care for them any longer and the list can go on and on.
These questions should have been asked. We see how people treat their pets and although these chickens are not supposed to be pets, they are still live creatures who must be cared for. I hope we don't see the day chickens are wandering through downtown Sarasota like they do in Key West. Let's let Key West keep that particular quirk.

Comments

Popular Posts