The photo of the week

Leao sits for a second consecutive day next to the grave of his owner Cristina Maria Cesario.
When I first glimpsed this photo, I thought it was a picture of Buzz, but then I noticed the cross sticking out of the ground and knew it could not be him. This was taken by a photographer who was documenting the mud slides in Brazil and this dog's owner died.
In searching the internet, many, many people have posted on different blogs about Leao and asking about adopting him or making sure someone adopts him.
I wonder why they don't rush down to their local shelter and adopt one of the dogs waiting there for a new home. Do they think this is the only dog who is now berefit and without? Do they believe he is the only dog who will show this kind of loyalty and love?
People continue to baffle me about things like this. Obviously, this dog was well loved and cared for and it is a tragedy his owner died. There are HUNDREDS of dogs in this area who are faced with the same thing. Why not adopt one of them, instead of trying to figure out a way to adopt this dog from Brazil?
I hope he gets a new home, but I also hope this story and photo inspires one person to go to their local shelter or rescue and adopt a dog. Just think how many might find a home all because of one photo showing one dog's love and loyalty.

Comments

Popular Posts