Letter from Dixie

Hi all you Dixie fans. It's me, the one, the only Dixie Doodle reporting to you live from Satchel's Last Resort. A rescue, rehabilitation and rehome spot for wayward dogs.
I happen to be one of the wayward dogs but found myself here and now it seems I am unable to leave. Well, I mean I could leave if the right humans came forward and wanted to adopt me. It is the luck of the draw and so far, no humans have picked my number.
It will happen. I am sure of it so today's letter is going to full of happy news. No downers here. The reason is because even though I am sad, I have it so much better than many other shelter dogs do. I know. I have heard the stories and seen some of the dogs we take in. I have a nice, roomy kennel. I get plenty to eat and everyone here spends as much time as possible with me.
My friend came in yesterday to work with me. You see, I still have that jumping thing going on so she thought I might do well working on the agility. I was really looking forward to that again, but she didn't feel well today, so she left early.
Yesterday she was having me do these jump things. They are little poles and I have to jump across three of them and then into the pool of water. What fun! I had it down the first time she had me do it. The secret is the treat at the end. I have told you how I do love treats. I am willing to do just about anything for one. Then to end up in a splash pool on a hot day? That is heaven to me. I did tell you how much I love water, didn't I?
Last week I worked with some different ladies. They are trying to teach me high 5. I am learning it since I am a very smart girl. I just have to remember the difference between high 5 and over since one is for the paw thing and one is the splash pool trick.
Our big boy, Hunk, got to go home. He lived in a kennel with Gracie. She is the one I wrote about last week who was so shy. Maybe that is a lucky kennel and they would move me to it. Anyway, Hunk lives in Bradenton now in something called a rehab house. You will have to ask another human what a house like that is, because it is beyond my scope of things. I heard he was very happy there and getting lots of attention.
The dog in the kennel now is named Wesley. He seems nice enough, if you like other dogs, which I don't. I am not sure what his issues are, but I am sure he has them. We also have a new dog named Sugar. She is solid white almost with blue eyes. She lives in a kennel with another dog named Handsome. He is a small Florida Brown dog of indeterminate parentage.
Everything else is still the same here. It is still infernally hot, but we have been getting popcicles which I find irresistible. They taste like chicken. I have no idea how the humans do that, but I am all for it.
Well, I guess I better close for now. Feeding time will be coming around soon and y'all know how much I love to eat. Of course, if I keep up with this agility thing, I may lose a few pounds. I say, all the better to eat more.
Love,
Dixie

Comments

Popular Posts