Chained dogs

As part of my daily ritual at work to help keep me from thinking about smoking, I take a walk every morning on my break. It has been working so far and I walk several blocks, burn some calories and don't light up.
I have seen several "Beware of Dog" signs posted in this walk, but have never seen a dog, dangerous or otherwise in any of the yards, nor have I heard any barking. That changed this morning.
I changed my route and walked past a house where I had seen a sign when a female pitbull, obviously a new mom, came barreling out from under an old car growling and lunging at me. The only thing which stopped her was a thick chain around her neck which was bolted to the car. I, of course, simply spoke softly and told her she was fine and I wouldn't hurt her and kept walking, so she stopped growling and went back to lay in the dirt.
As I rounded the next corner, the same thing happened only this time with a golden retriever who was chained to a partial fence. I don't know if she was alerted to me from the barking of the pit bull, but she growled and lunged in the same way.
I believe either one of those dog would have bitten me. This is the reason why. They were chained.
I mistakenly believed we were making inroads in educating people about chaining or tying out dogs. We are apparently not doing a good enough job. These dogs do not live in the country but right off Fruitville Road and U.S. 301. We are also apparently not doing enough on educating people about spaying and neutering, as witnessed by both these dogs.
Just so you know, tying or chaining your dog outside is not illegal. It is sad, but you can still do it as long as your animal has shelter and food/water. Dogs don't have to be inside pets like many of us own.
There is a movement going on right now to make the chaining of dogs illegal which it is in several states. If you are interested in this and would like to find out more, check out this website. The thing is, don't depend on others to do it. If things like this bother you, talk to people. Explain why you feel the way you do. Explain what it does to the animals. Help if you can. Are you going to change everyone's way of thinking? Probably not but plant the seed anyway. You would be surprised how one voice can make a difference.

Comments

Popular Posts