Breed characteristics

Knowing the breed of dog you are interested in always helps to further the adoption process along the way. Even if you adopt a mixed breed dog, there are certain characteristics who are inherent within the breed.
You can check out breed characteristics online on several different web pages, but the AKC has the best one in my opinion. You can check them out here.
Now at the moment, I have two mixed breed dogs living in my house. Buzz, my FBD and Gypsy, my hound. Both were listed as a breed totally different than what they actually are. Gypsy was listed as a Rottweiler/ridgeback which she has no part of any of those breeds and Buzz was listed as a black mouth cur. Buzz is part black mouth, a dog native to the south, but since his hair has grown back in, I know notice the ridge along his back, like a ridgeback. So he is a cur/ridgeback and Gypsy, a hound. I don't care about the breeding of these dogs. They are seniors, their tails wag incessantly, and they are simply my dogs who I love.
I think when you are looking for a purebred, you should make sure you know the characteristics of the breed. This is not to say they cannot be different from those listed traits, but simply a guideline on some things you can expect from certain breeds.
The reason I speak about these traits is a special dog we have at Satchel's. His name is Benson and he is a rottweiler. The reason he is special to me is because he reminds me so much of a dog I had for a short period of time, Carmella. He is dominant. He doesn't do well with other dogs. He is a pushy, strong, young rottweiler who never had to mind anyone. If he can push you around he will.
These traits might turn off lots of people due to horror stories about the breed. These traits are one of the reasons I love the breed. These are smart, smart dogs and will find a way around most anything if you don't put the time and training into them. One of Benson's favorite things is trying to grab the leash out of your hand while you are walking him. We began working on that, and now it simply depends on who he is with. We caught him the other day going to bite the leash and stopping just shy to see if he got a treat. He is a bright dog.
Unfortunately, bright, smart, big dogs are not the way to go this year. But there are always people like me, who love the breed, understand the breed and want a rescue dog. If you are one of those people, please contact Satchel's Last Resort at comments@satchelslastresort.com and see if you could meet him. He is a wonderful dog.

Comments

Popular Posts