Giving thanks

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. When I was younger, I envisioned having the whole family together to eat too much and then sit around, watch football and talk. My family has become very small in number now, we all live in different areas, but I am so thankful for each of them every day. They are always here for me when I need them and we welcome a new member, born yesterday to my cousin Jeff and his girlfriend in New Orleans, Nicholas Watkins. Although he doesn't know it yet, his family is the best.
So today, it is a very small number who will eat, drink and be merry, but our thoughts will be on all the family, past and present, and we will give thanks for them.
I, like many others, had a trying year. Through it all I had the support and guidance of many friends. They were there when I needed a shoulder, a lunch, or simply a phone call. To them I say thank you. You all know who you are.
To all the people at Satchel's Last Resort, you have allowed me to continue to work within my passion, which is homeless pets and if there is a more wonderful group of people around, I have yet to come in contact with them.
To all the wonderful animals I have had in my life, past and present, I am thankful. To not know the power of a dog's lick or wagging tail or to have a cat wrap themselves around your legs when you come home, is to be missing a whole segment of life and the power of unconditional love.
To my old employer, thank you for allowing me to hold a job, pay my bills, and learn a new area of business for the last year. I will take it and run with it because knowledge is power. You helped me become a little more learned in the ways of the business world.
To my new employer, thank you for giving me the opportunity to use my life's knowledge in a new journey which I hope will prove even more rewarding than the last 50 years.
Finally, to my wonderfully funny, always absent boyfriend, Mark. You have taught me more patience than I ever thought possible. You have supported me in all my endeavors, old and new, you love my critters almost as much as I do and are always here for me, maybe not in body, but in thought.
I have a wonderful life. For that I am very thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts