County statute for breeding/selling animals

It seems I cannot get away from rescue even when I am trying to relax in Key West. While doing the Duval Crawl, I was walking, I convinced one young man to have his gorgeous Chocolate Labrador neutered. Score one for me.
The following morning as I was perusing the newspapers, which is a habit I enjoy and read several while on vacation, I was looking in the classifieds of the Sun-Sentinel under the dogs/cats for sale. I do this to see if the numbers are decreasing for backyard breeding. At the beginning of the column I saw a notice that a permit number must be in the advertisement before it could print. Wow! Some county is now beginning to license backyard breeders. I meant to bring the ad home, but forgot it so I contacted an old friend from my Herald-Tribune days who works there now and he found what I was searching for and sent the statute to me. (Thanks Jamal)
This is the county statute:
 Effective August 1, 2008 per Palm Beach County Ordinance 98-22, sections 23 and 29, any person who allows or causes the breeding of any cat or dog or sells or gives away a kitten or a puppy must obtain a Hobby or Commercial Breeder Permit. Hobby breeder permit number must be included in all advertisements and literature. For more information, call (561) 233-1209.


So for all the local counties around here, check it out. What a great way to help control the unnecessary breeding of owned animals, raise money for animal control, help identify possible puppy mills and maybe decrease euthanasia rates at the county animal control. Are you listening Sarasota/Manatee/Charlotte?

Comments

Popular Posts