The calming presence of pets

My Mom, who has been very ill, has an 8x10 photo sitting by her bed at the rehab hospital. Now you might think it has us three kids in it. Or maybe her 6 grandkids. If you think that, you would be wrong. Her photo is actually a collage of all the dogs she has ever owned since her first, Goldie, a tan pitbull in 1940. There are cocker spaniels, mutts, Australian Shepherds, and Rottweilers. (the Rottweilers actually belonged to me)
She says she finds the photos very comforting, since she is too ill to own another dog and misses that companionship.
When I look at pets from that perspective, I remember how wonderful it is to be greeted as I come home each morning with a wagging tail and a happy smile. I can relate to the feelings which arise when Buzz comes and places his head in my lap after I have had a really bad or sad day, as if to say, "It's okay Mom. I am here and I will comfort you."
Sometimes they are better sounding boards than humans are because they never judge, they simply love.

Comments

Popular Posts