The story of Hank

For every happy ending like Spirit's story in my previous post, there is a gut-wrenching sad story to balance it out. It is why we in rescue must keep speaking for the animals. That one of the richest counties in the state of Florida can allow this to happen to a helpless creature is beyond my comprehension. Please read the story of Hank and get your tissues out. The letter is written by Michelle Sampson, who does a lot for the homeless animals in our area with "Gimme Shelter". Once again, if you can help any rescue group with time, moneyor a home, please consider keeping it local. We have so many animals in need in our area right now who just need a chance.
The story of Hank
This past Saturday many folks were enjoying one of the most gorgeous days we've seen in a while; unfortunately I was not one of those people. I got the pleasure of deciding whether or not to put down an amazing dog that had clearly been neglected the majority of his life. This was seriously one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make since being involved in animal rescue.
I received an e-mail about a dog that had been found wondering down a major State Road. This very lovely woman pulled over and removed him safely from oncoming traffic. She immediately got on the Internet to look for a Rescue Organization that may be willing to take the dog. She was unable to keep him for more than one night due to the rules of her lease. I received the e-mail the next day. She said he was an older Pit Bull with a bit of a limp. She said he was super sweet and quiet. I told her I was more than happy to help could she please drive him to my Vet for boarding; she agreed and even paid for his rabies vaccination.
I asked a friend of mine from another Rescue Organization if he would be willing to take an older Pit Bull with a bit of a limp, and he was more than happy to help. I woke up Saturday morning very excited to pick up the boy from my Vet and bring him to his new abode. You could not imagine the horror I felt when the kennel worker brought him out. This dog has to be one of the worst neglect cases that I have ever witnessed. I just wanted to cry. I knew that the chance of my fellow rescue friend taking him would be slim to none.
This poor baby had demodex mange, infected ears, bad teeth, a severe limp; which was clearly hip dysplasia, and his underbelly was raw and calloused from most likely living and sleeping on pavement his whole life. I got him in my car and we made the long journey to what I was hoping would be a new start. I had the sun roof open and as I looked in the rear view mirror I could see the sun beaming off his handsome face. He was absolutely loving it.
We finally arrived to our destination. The boy jumped out and was ready to check out the new place. As I suspected my friend took one look at the boy and said "NO WAY"; I was crushed. He basically pointed out everything that was wrong and of course given his age, which was estimated to being about 10ish. He said not only would it cost a fortune to get him even close to being right, but that it would be very painful for him to have to go through all of the procedures. I was just beside myself, I honestly have never been in this particular position. I felt like his life was in my hands. I just sat there holding him and telling him I loved him and everything was going to be OK.
I finally looked in his eyes and said I just don't know what to do, I don't want to do this. And just as I said that he looked me dead in my eyes and licked my face. He was telling me it was time and he was OK with my decision. I'm not sure I'll ever feel resolve for my decision, but I did what I thought was best for Hank. My friend looked at him and said you know you look like a HANK, so that is what we decided we would name him, only minutes before his death.
This is a sad story that could have had a much happier outcome if only his owners would have given him the most basic of care. How dare someone treat Hank like this for 10 years, and then dump him off like yesterdays trash. I got to be the one to clean up their mess. I'm the one that had to decide if Hank would live or die. For that I say to Hank's owners, there's a special place in hell for monsters like you.
Hank..I'm glad I got to hang out with you for a couple of hours, I wish it could have been longer sweet boy..
I love you always,
Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts