Please keep your owned cats inside

I have written about this before, but like all advice, it is not welcome in most corners where they disagree with what I am saying. That's okay. I will never be able to change everyone's mind, but if I can get just one person, just one, to stop letting their cats roam freely, I would write about this on a weekly basis.
I like cats, I do, but am allergic to most cat dander so I don't own one. I have so many allergies to other things, sneezing and itchy eyes are no big deal, but I have a hard time with hives. That being said, I think cats are beautiful and mysterious creatures and everyone who can, should have one.
I don't think everyone who has a cat should allow them to roam freely. I don't care if they have rabies tags, or any other identifying collar. There are things which will catch a cat and kill it. In a moment's notice while you turn your back. One of those things is my dog Buzz. I never thought Buzz would be that kind of dog. I have watched him chase birds, squirrels, rabbits and moles in my yard just until they reach the fence and then veer off and let them go. It is like he wants them off his property and once they leave, he is fine.
Today, there were two cats in my backyard. Not one, but two. A grey tabby and a tuxedo. If Buzz had of been a little bit faster, one or both of those cats would have been dead. He was in full attack mode with snarling teeth and all. I have NEVER seen him react to anything like that before.
So, if you value your cat. If you like having it around, you might want to think about keeping it inside instead of letting it wander, to use your neighbors' backyards as litter boxes or as hunting grounds for birds. I can tell you if they wander into my backyard and Buzz is out, it may be the last trip outside your house they make.

Comments

Popular Posts