Shooting the Breeze by Baxter

Hello to all my fans and welcome back. I know, it has only been a week but sometimes I am just busting out with news and can't wait to talk to you.
This, of course, is not one of those weeks. I will tell you it has been kind of slow in the shelter world. Slow for adoptions that is. We try to present ourselves in the best possible light, but sometimes there aren't any homes available and so we sit. And wait. And then wait some more. It can be a little depressing when you are a shelter dog because you simply don't understand why outsiders can't see what the insiders do. But, it is a new week and we never know what the next week will bring, so here is what I do know went on last week.
I have told you before I am a more mature dog with a crippled leg but have you ever had one of those days when you just felt like being a puppy again? Well, being human, maybe not, but I had one on Saturday and it was a glorious feeling.
The weather was great and after all that rain we had on Friday, the sun was a welcome sight on Saturday. The one thing the rain did was provide us with puddles. Lots and lots of puddles and I got to splash in the water and get muddy along with my buddy, Wooly B. and then romp through the yard and splash some more. Just like when I was a puppy. I know some of the staff thought I was crazy, but it took me back to the days before I had a crippled leg and no one wanted me. I had a home and could get a little crazy now and then. I then got to go back to my kennel and chew on my soft toy and just chill. It was warm and comfortable and all that would have taken to make the day complete was a new owner.
I heard someone was really interested in me, but were looking for a playmate for their other dog and I simply didn't fit the bill. I would have been a great match if they had only wanted one dog or their dog was a little older like me. They chose someone else who I guess is going home this weekend, but I believe that is the only dog who was looked at this week.
On the other hand, we have a surplus of guests right now and simply no room for anyone else. I really wish people would quit having puppies. Or I should say, letting their dogs have puppies. It makes it so much harder for us to find that perfect spot.
Several of us have had to double up and although I have had to do that before, I have a little seniority now, which doesn't count for much, but I get to keep a kennel to myself.
We also had some new volunteers come out to meet us. That is always fun and games. I can schmooze with the best of them when they have treats and toys. You should come visit and watch me sometimes.
Jake wasn't quite as annoying this week as last. I wish he could go home. Then would would not only have a free kennel, but I could sleep without him barking at every Tom, Dick and Harry who walked by.
The senior border collie mix, Bear, who was here a few weeks ago is doing well in his new home. Some people have a soft spot in their hearts for us more mature creatures. I am still hoping to find my spot.
Well, that is it for a pretty uneventful week. Hope you had exciting things happen in yours. Please come visit us and bring some treats. We would love to see you. Until then, don't forget to act like a puppy if you get the chance.
Love,
Baxter

Comments

Popular Posts