And the witchhunt begins

It is with a heavy heart I write this blog item. The reason is because two more dogs were shot to death because they had a stupid, irresponsible owner and the people who are sent to deal with criminals don't understand dogs. You can read the story here and then think about some of the issues I am writing about.
There are two bills in the Florida legislature that will effectively ban any dog breed they deem dangerous in my beloved state. This bill can include pits, rotts, dobies, or any other breed the people who we elected to represent us deem dangerous.
We have a whole generation of people who have never been around dogs so must believe everything they read or hear about as far as behavior goes.
So the witchhunt begins. It begins on the pretext of making my state a safer place to live. If we destroy all the "dangerous" dogs then no one will ever be bitten, or attacked, or threatened. Just who do they think they are kidding? Do they really believe they will be able to tell humans what kind of dog they can have? Do they really believe this will stop all the aggression in the breeds and all will be right with the state?
I get very emotional when thinking about my civil rights, one of which is the right to own property and in Florida, animals are property. As a citizen of the state, I have a right to own any dog breed I want and as long as I am a responsible owner, the government has no right to tell me what breed of dog I can own. Now, if I am irresponsible, then take my animals away and send me to jail. Yeah, right! That is not going to happen.
The legislature thinks it will be easier just to destroy all the dogs than enforce the laws on the books we have now to protect citizens from dangerous dogs.
Now, my next question is: who is going to go and remove all these dogs and then kill them. Will it be your senator or representative? I bet not. I bet it will fall to those who already love animals and will be forced, due to their jobs and keeping their jobs, to do the dirty work.
Makes you proud to be a citizen, doesn't it?

Comments

Popular Posts