Remembering my Daddy

I know many, many people who do not realize my father served for 20 years in the military. I alos know many people who do not know he died from his exposure to Agent Orange and the four types of cancer it caused to grow in his body.
I don't have any flags posted outside my door. I don't have one hanging from my garage. My truck has a HSUS magnet and a "Wally's" bar in Orlando bumper sticker. This doesn't mean I do not honor each and every one of them.
Today, SSGT J.L. Watkins will be honored as a soldier but he was so much more. He was a husband and a father. He grew up in rural Florida while citrus was still king. He graduated from Summerlin Institute (now Bartow High School) and joined the Army after being in the National Guard for two years. He served for twenty, retired and came home to enjoy his retirement. He didn't get to enjoy it for long. He along with my Mom, taught me to love and respect animals.
When I was nine, he took me horseback riding on post in Ft. Gordon, Georgia. You see, I loved horses as a young girl and we couldn't move one from army post to army post, so Daddy did the next best thing. We had a myriad of cats and dogs while I was growing up for it seemed one of us kids were always bringing something home.
This is a day to honor the military who lost their lives for this country. My Daddy was one of them. So even if you don't see a flag draped somewhere in my yard or on my car, never doubt I honor the men and women of the armed forces each day. There are many who are still suffering from situations which occured during their service time but this one is for you Daddy. I miss you.

Comments

Popular Posts