Having mixed feelings on out-of-area rescues

Sometimes, just when I think I have this all straight in my head, I read another story about a humane society or rescue group bringing in dogs from out of state. Then my brain starts working overtime again on whether this is a good or bad idea.
I am all about saving as many animals as possible. My problem lies in how many animals in our area, given a chance, could find a home if more time was dedicated to them. Bring in puppies and small dogs from out of state, and they find a home first. Which is a good thing, but the animals who are already waiting, some for months and months, could either continue to wait or be euthanized because there are no available homes.
So what are your thoughts? You cannot tell me there are not puppies and small dogs in the state of Florida which need rescuing. There are also hundreds of medium and large sized dogs whose only fault is their size or where they happened to be born. These are euthanized because there aren't any homes for them.
Can we not, as a compassionate and empathetic society, figure out how to find these dogs homes before we begin importing other dogs from other states? Maybe there are some spots where people actually like medium or large dogs where we can send them and assure them a home?
Mixed feelings? You betcha. Will the puppies and small dogs die in the state they are coming from? Probably. So who actually wins? Like I said, very mixed feelings.

Comments

Popular Posts