One for the birds

I have written before of the multitude of wildlife which can be observed in my backyard. Many of the critters come out only at night and if you are not looking for them, you will not even know they are there.
Days are a different story. Two weeks ago a beautiful osprey landed under the orange tree and sat there watching while Jeremy and I were working in the yard. I am not sure why it was watching us, but it obviously felt comfortable enough to stay for a few minutes before flying away.
I, of course, continue to have a million squirrels despite the fact I have two rodent chasing dogs living in the house now. (Buzz could care less but Hazel and Kinzie love to try and catch squirrels)
I also have a wide variety of birds. I like birds. I have so many I wonder sometimes how they find enough to eat in my backyard. Of course, a pair of cardinals have now decided to make a nest in my seagrape. I have other trees in my yard and why they picked the seagrape is anyone's guess but the nest is on a branch which looks like if the wind blows, the nest will fall. I noticed them the past couple of days flying to and from with small twigs in their beaks.
The nest is made up of small twigs, Spanish moss and dog hair, probably from the piles I sweep out of my house.
I guess they know better than I where they want their nest to be. I just hope I don't wake up to a baby cardinal laying on the pool deck. I want them all to be happy and healthy to come back and build their own nest next year.

Comments

Popular Posts