Marion County's have and have nots

I watch the Kentucky Derby every year. I don't have a clue why, but it probably has something to do with watching Secretariat run when I was in high school and fall in love with the race. I already loved horses, so to see those beautiful, well taken care of horses race was thrilling. I continue to watch and am always interested when a winner is either bred or trained in Florida, since Marion County is one of my favorite places to visit with its' rolling hills and acres of horse farms.
I was please Animal Kingdom won the Derby and I wish him luck in the Triple Crown. He was, after all, trained in Marion County. Imagine my dismay when I saw the next story about the dogfighting ring.
Of course, I am sure Marion County does not want to be associated with dogfighting, but there are parts of the county which border Ocala National Forest and that means acres and acres of land with run down houses and trailers parked in the middle. The only access are dirt roads and no trespassing signs are scattered throughout. These places are a far cry from the million dollar horse breeding operations and they busted one.
You can check out the story here and the slide show here and then if you can offer any help to Marion County Animal Services, please do. The dogs will not be released until after the court date and some, (probably many) will be deemed unadoptable, but at least they have been removed from the horrific life they were leading.

Comments

Popular Posts