Small victories

In the battle to fight the overpopulation of pets, spay/neuter is by far the most successful program to help end the euthanasia of millions of homeless pets each year. The problem is educating people who are not involved in animal welfare on the benefits of having their pet altered.
Eight months ago, I began having a conversation with a woman about her dog, who was not neutered. She wanted to breed him to get a puppy just like him. I knew my work was cut out for me, but I didn't want to come down so heavy handed she totally blew me off so I began educating her, in very small doses about spay/neuter.
It has taken all this time of slowly showing her the benefits of having the procedure done, but next Tuesday, both her male dogs will be neutered. I am helping her to cover the costs because although she doesn't have lots of money, she doesn't qualify for many of the programs available in our area. She does qualify at the Humane Society of Manatee County, which has some of the most reasonable costs in the area.
Two dogs will not be making puppies after next week. They will be better pets and she will be a happier pet owner. It only took me 8 months, but I did it.

Comments

Popular Posts