Shooting the Breeze by Baxter

Hi everyone. Hope your week was a good one. Mine has been busy. I am talking non-stop fun and games for the past week. They have been coming, and coming and coming and I have no idea where we are going to put any more.
Guests that is. We are filled to the brim and then overflowing. What is it about the holiday season which causes humans to give up their pets? Do they simply run out of time to deal with them and figure they are a dime a dozen so they will get a new one after the holidays? I think that happens quite a bit. It is pretty sad what that says about some humans.
Let's see, all the regulars are still here, but now we have these BIG rottweilers, Samson and Delilah. I heard they were great dogs and a perfect representation of their breed. They were both picked up as strays and have heartworm. They were going to be euthanized because they need a foster home so we are now looking for a foster home for them. Pluto came back. I guess he got into a little tiff with another dog. I don't understand how humans think about dogs fighting. Humans fight and don't get along sometimes. Why are dogs not allowed to? I also heard another dog was coming back, Princess, but she is not here yet and last but not least, the fast girl, Elsa, came back again. They loved her until she broke out of her crate and destroyed some Christmas stuff. They knew she would do that. See, it is people I don't understand, not the dogs. So now she has been returned 3 times. Do you know at a lot of shelters they have a 3 strike rule. If you get returned 3 times, you are killed. Not here though. We can live here until someone wants us. If no one ends up wanting us, it is not such a bad life.
Elsa got all her old playmates back plus they let Harry play with her. He was pretty bossy at first, but I heard they did well once she let him know he could be boss. Maybe they can work it out so Elsa and Harry can play every day.
Oh, and guess what I got? Can you guess? I got a new bed and I look like a king when I lay on it. It is almost brand new and someone donated it to the rescue. I am sitting pretty now. You should drop by and see me sometime. You would be impressed with how handsome I am.
Treats? Did you ask about my treat situation? Well, it is not bad but it could be better. Those nice ladies who bring me a box of soft treats each Saturday were not there last night so I didn't get the special ones. I got soft treats but so did every other dog here.
The volunteers are such a help in this place. They had us all out during the rain yesterday. Of course, I am a little picky and really enjoyed just laying on my bed watching the rain. I heard Mitch, who is a boxer/pit bull mix was jumping up trying to catch the rain in his mouth while Patches, the border collie kept jumping in the pool. They were both soaking wet when they came in. Handsome Harry went on a car ride. He told me he was not too sure about it because he doesn't go on many. When he finally figured out no one was going to dump him off anywhere, he relaxed. That boy just needs to get out more. I tell you, some of these guys have never been anywhere.
Winter got to run through the back fields for a long while Sunday morning. Boris and Natasha told me they were simply watching him run. They also got to watch that tall guy who volunteers work his dog on the long line. It is like having doggy tv outside the back gate. Pretty interesting stuff. At least, for dogs it is.
Volunteers also brought us cocoanuts to chew on. I am not partial to those and prefer the soft treats, but the dogs who have to live in crates stay busy chewing on them. Until we can find some homes, they may be in a crate for a while. It is the whole crowded thing. (I have my own kennel, thank you very much, and I am NOT giving it up to one of these young whippersnappers)
Indiana tried chasing a mole this morning and dug a trench all through the big yard trying to catch it. He got sand up his nose and everything. I also sniffed the mole when I was out there, but I am not sticking my nose in a hole in the ground. How common is that? I am a royal dog, really above that nonsense.
It was great this morning in the yard. I was so frisky I could hardly contain myself. I wanted to stay outside and play even more than my playmate, Wooly B. He wanted to go back in and get on his bed and get treats, but I stayed out longer. I ran and ran, play bowed to my friend and enjoyed the simple life of a dog. I think humans sometimes forget although we love to be around them, we are still dogs at heart and like to romp, dig and roll. It is our nature.
Okay, I have been pretty long-winded today, so I will close for now.
Love,
Baxter
P.S.I am featuring another of our seniors who would so benefit from a good home. He is housebroken, purebred and just needs some loving. His name is Prince and he is a Doberman who loves people. Do you have a soft bed and a warm heart to give him a home this holiday season? He would look great with a big, red ribbon tied around his neck. Please contact Caroline at comments@satchelslastresort.com with questions about this wonderful guy.

Comments

Popular Posts