Introducing the newest family member

As I posted last weekend, Buzz is now a member of my household. It is interesting for me to be exposed to an animal who is 7 years old and has never had the comforts of a real home.
From the time he entered my house, after his introduction to Gypsy, in which he was not quite sure what to make of her, he has been nervous.
The first time the telephone rang, he was terrified. The sound of the television had him cocking his head and looking at the screen like, "What is this thing where the noise is coming from?"
He has not attempted to climb the stairs to the loft, follows me everywhere I go except upstairs, and stands in my back yard with a puzzled expression like he can't believe he can run wherever he wants. The first two days he would stand at the window facinated by watching the outside world.
I don't believe he knows how to play, but I am working on that and he will gather all the soft toys in the house in the corner he is laying in and then move them from room to room as he is following me around.
He tries to pick up his food dish, with food, and carry it outside to eat. I am not sure if this is because he is afraid of Gypsy stealing his dinner, (which she has been known to do) or simply he doesn't feel comfortable eating in the house.
Although he lived his life outside, he has not once gone potty in the house but waits patiently for me to walk outside with him.
He will go to the veterinarian on Saturday just to be checked out and after the first ride in the truck on the way home Saturday, I expect he will be nervous going to the vet.
After less than a week at his new home, he is settling in, but like any rescue dog, it will take time.
I will keep the blog posted with updates.

Comments

Popular Posts