Young men and male dogs

Due to my absolute, beyond a doubt certainty dog training helps all dogs, I watch all the training shows I can on television.
Victoria Stillwell, the trainer on "It's Me or the Dog" on Animal Planet had a brand new episode on last Saturday. The dog was a Presa Canario who was owned by a young man, 20 years old in New York.
The young man was having difficulty with the dog in every area possible. Aggression, destruction, marking territory within the house etc. You name it, this guy was experiencing it. His girlfriend and all his friends were scared of the dog and no one could handle him except the owner.
One of the points made in the show, was the attachment this young man had to his dog's testicles. Even after the problems Victoria showed were directly due to the dog's unneutered condition, after the humans had visited the shelter with 70% of their dogs being bully breeds and being denied training by the experts because his dog was not neutered, the kid still hesistated.
I believe Victoria called it penis extension, or attaching the way a human male feels about his own gentalia to his dog.
By the end of the show, the young man had made an appointment to have the dog neutered, but he fought the idea throughout the whole show.
I know many, many men who think the same way. They believe, mistakenly, an unneutered male dog will lose his personality and his drive. There is a growing movement which believes male dogs should not be fixed until they have reached maturity due to bone and muscle development, but I could find no hard facts showing this or any studies done which point this way.
One of the biggest arguments I had with my ex was on the neutering of my last male Rottweiler. John was okay with spaying my females but was adamant about keep the testicles attached to the males. Junior was 4 years old when we split and he was boarded at the vet, neutered and then taken to my new home in Sarasota, but it was done. He was mature by then but have no idea if it affected his bones and muscles and he was never aggressive so I am sure that was not a concern of mine.
We must educate out young males about this procedure. We have to do it or the newest generation of males will grow up with many of these same attitudes see today. Let's not allow these antiquated attitudes continue to flourish with our young men.

Comments

Popular Posts