Adjusting to life with "the girls"

It has been about 6 weeks since Buzz and I welcomed new roommates in my son, his girlfriend and their two doxies. Adjusting to having two new dogs in the household is proving to be much easier for Buzz than for Buzz's mom. (me) You see, Buzz is still a dog and as one, he doesn't mind the barking at all hours and at everything that moves. He doesn't mind the circling the feet in the kitchen while trying to cook and attempting not to trip over a dog so small you cannot see them. He shares his toys willingly, or will sneak them back to his bed when they are not looking. He does not care if they sniff his butt and only draws the line when they attempt to remove a Milk Bone from his mouth after devouring theirs. Like I said, he is a dog. I, on the other hand, did not train these dogs and am finding it hard to explain the importance of not treating these dogs like they were the leader in the house. I do not know if it is simply my overbearing personality or the age difference between me and their mistress. Perhaps I am simply not explaining myself as well as I could. So in an attempt to bring peace to the homefront, I enlisted the help of the best trainer I know. Not only does she do a fabulous job in training dogs, but she relates well enough to the humans in charge of the dogs to explain the importance of keeping the dogs under control while walking them or having a person come to the door. She spent several hours with us on Sunday and Kenzie, the main problem, was pretty much under control by the time she left. Her mistress was instructed on the proper way to get the dogs under control and assured everyone she would continue to work on the problems until we got them corrected. My son and I promised we would not hound their mistress and would be a part of the solution and not the problem. Kenzie and Hazel are both good dogs who need some training. They have been allowed to rule the home for several years and we started today to get that control back. It was a productive day. Thanks Iris.

Comments

Popular Posts