Pennsylvania approves hunting porcupines

In what seems like eons ago now, I had an experience with a porcupine. It wasn't in this state, but in Colorado. I was staying at a guest ranch a friend of mine owned and had gone out in the spring to help clean cabins, open trails and do general maintanence at the ranch to get ready for the summer tourists.
I was in my cabin one night and kept hearing the crunching noises coming from outside my cabin door. Not being an easily spooked person, I had to get up and investigate. (I mean, what are the chances there is a crazed, psychopathic killer outside my cabin up in the Rockies, 21 miles from the closest town.)
Sitting right outside my door was a huge creature with quills. I had never seen a porcupine before and when I realized what it was, I closed the door. the problem with that was he/she would not leave.
When the owner of the ranch arrived in the lodge for breakfast, I told him about my evening and the critter. He wanted to know why I had not awakened him the minute I awoke. He said they were destructive etc. and they were destroyed when one was located.
After explaining the porcupine had cornered me in my room with no chance of escape, he forgave me.
So check out this story. It makes me a little sad.

Comments

Popular Posts