Taking out the trash

One of the most interesting facets of animal rescue is trying to read, listen and comprehend all the emails and/or phone calls you may receive during the course of the day. My inbox is flooded on a daily basis with people money or homes or medical help or you fill in the blank, for animals and not just domestic ones. I get responses to a blog item I may have written where someone says I know just what you are talking about and I know of a ________ who really needs help. Can you send $5.00 or forward this plea to all the contacts in your email. I hear from people who really don't have the animals in mind when they write, but are trying to ruffle my feathers in one way or another. I don't forward anything sent to me personally unless I have knowledge what is in the email is true. I only deal with people or rescue groups I know or ones who have been referred by a friend and I make sure I check all these out. I am sorry your husband is dying and you need money to care for your pets. I cannot help if your child is suffering from a disease and you have started a fund to keep his dog/cat in the house because you can't afford it otherwise. You see, people lie. They lie with great frequency about things which may pull at your heartstrings enough you will send them money. In this case, they use the love of pets as the hook to reel you in. Please don't fall for it. If there is any doubt in your mind an email or post you have read is not on the up and up, don't put your credit information or personal information out there. If we are reputable, we will answer any question or email posed to us. If someone tells you they are a charity, they should have a 501 (c)3 tax id number and be listed on one of the numerous charity websites like Charity Navigator. If you request this information and you don't hear back, take it out with the trash. That is what these emails are. Please protect yourselves and do not fall for these scams because of your love of animals.

Comments

Popular Posts