When a purebred just won't do

I have a love affair with mutts. You know what I am talking about. Those sad-eyed, mixed breed dogs which seem be born with bad luck.
I have owned several. I believe they are grateful. They seem to have a sense about them which my Rottweilers never had.
They have all been relatively healthy. No problems like hip displaysia or anything like that. I compare it to mixing up the DNA so it is healthier than the overbred dogs many people own today.
Buzz is a mutt. You couldn't ask for a better dog. He lived outside his whole life and was in pretty poor condition when we first met, but since coming to my house he has never had an accident inside. Doesn't chew anything but toys. Doesn't beg for table food although I think he would if I encouraged it. Chases all the wild critters from the yard but doesn't catch anything. He takes his thyroid pill with relative ease, eats what I put down for him with no complaints and even lets me cut his toenails with very little hassle. Who could want anything more?
So, when you reach a point where a purebred just won't do, please visit your local rescue or shelter and find yourself a mutt. Breeding does show.

Comments

Popular Posts