Dogs and toys

I have owned dogs who never picked up a toy. I have had dogs who would destroy a squeaky toy just to get to the squeaker and once that was accomplished, they never looked at the toy again. I have had dogs love balls and ignore balls. Destroy soft toys and sleep with them at night.
Buzz is the weirdest dog I have had when it comes to his toys.
When I adopted Buzz, he brought home a stuffed giraffe which had been his favorite soft toy at the shelter. He came home to a toy box full of bones, stuff toys, balls and anything else my dogs had been given over the years.
He places the toys in certain spots in the living room and dining room and when you try to pick up the toys and put them away, he follows behind you and pulls them all out again. Each one is loving placed in a different spot and then he goes and lays on his bed.
When he wants to play, it is only with stuffed toys. He brings them to you, shakes his head, throws them in the air, and then expects you to pick them up and throw them across the room and the will run and get them. He won't bring them back. Just hold them in his mouth, wag his tail and shake them. He will not chase them in the yard, but will on the pool deck and anywhere in the house as long as it is not a corner where he feesl trapped.
I had never seen him play with a ball until a couple of days ago and now he has a green, squeaky ball which he will treat the way he treats his soft toys.
When Mark, my boyfriend, brought his little Boston terrier over one weekend he and Buzz got along fine. Ben would play with Buzz's toys and squeak them over and over. Then Ben went home and when I came in from work, Buzz had gathered all his toys on his bed and was laying on them. I expect it was to prevent Ben from playing with them any longer.
So he is a little weird, but I love him anyway. He can lay as long as he wants on top of his toys.

Comments

Popular Posts