The value of seniors

Senior animals play such an important role in what I do so every chance I get, I must reiterate the value of these animals. I have adopted several and my dog now was 7 when he came to live at my house.
There are many people who believe a companion animal loses their worth after they have become middle-aged, but the following story, although sad, will show just what joy they can bring, especially to a senior citizen.
When my mother lost her Australian Shepherd, Lady almost 5 years ago, I thought her heart would never mend. She adopted Lady from Bishop Animal Shelter in Bradenton shortly after my father passed away and how on earth she controlled that 9 month old pup I have no idea. Lady lived for almost 16 years and Mom was devastated when she died.
I tried for over a year to get her to adopt another dog but she was simply not ready.
One Saturday I went in for my volunteer stint at the HSSC, when the kennel manager, Karen called me in the back to tell me she had found the perfect dog for my Mom. I went back and saw this long haired, foxy looking dog who was listed as a beagle mix in a kennel. She was 13 years old and her name was Jordan. She was small and I thought my Mom would like her. I told Karen I did not believe my Mom was ready for another dog but I would call her and ask.
She surprised me by saying, "Great!" Come get me and I will meet her. Well, my Mom lives in Lakeland, so off I went, picked her up, came back to the HSSC and it was love at first sight.
Jordan lived with my mom and was her constant companion for 3.5 years. When hospice was called in to care for Mom, she always said she would be okay because she had Jordan there to keep her company.
Jordan died two weeks ago from old age. She was almost 17 and my mother is all alone again. This little senior dog, 13 at adoption, brought 3 and a half years of joy to my Mom which she would not have had without her.
My Mom is still under hospice care but all alone now. The question becomes if she is able to care for another senior and who will be responsible for that animal should Mom go first. It has been tossed back and forth between my brother and I and we are of the same mind that Mom cannot care for another pet due to her health. How sad is it when I say this because I believe Jordan's companionship helped prolong my mother's good health.
Please do not abandon senior pets. They can bring so much joy to a family or perhaps a senior citizen.

Comments

Popular Posts