A voice of one

You never know when something you say may change a person's mind. Although I like to argue as well as the next person, sometimes subtlety of simply voicing your thought can make all the difference in what a person may decide to do.
I walk a mile each morning on my break at work. This walk takes me through a neighborhood with dogs which are loose, tied, held in arms or walked properly on leashes.
One morning as I was walking, there were two young men standing on the corner. Each had a pit bull on a leash and it looked as if they were trying to introduce the two dogs. Now these were nice looking dogs. You could tell they had been fed and taken care of.
I had to wait on traffic to finish before I could cross the road and I ask them to please not let the dogs fight. "Oh no." they both said. "We want them to like each other so they can mate!"
Well, to me that is just as bad so I spoke to them for a few minutes. Quoted some stats on euthanasia of the breed, cancers of unaltered dogs, both male and female and then asked them to think about what I had said.
As the traffic thinned so I cross the road, I heard one young man say to another, "Man, I don't want my dog to have any problems. Have you ever heard about that?" The other young man said, "No, I just want pups." The first young man then responded, "I don't know man, I gotta think about this some more."
Now, he probably didn't change his mind. But what if he did?

Comments

Popular Posts