Room with a view by Boris and Natasha


Hi to all you dog fans out there. Natasha here. This week it is my turn to speak and have I got a lot to say.
First to Boris. Speaking of my weight, buddy, is like the pot calling the kettle black. You are also on the mature weight side. Everyone can simply look at your photo and see that. I have also had no complaints from you during cold weather about snuggling up to this body. You even like to snuggle up in this heat, so I would advise you to zip those lips of yours and speak about the shelter, not about my size. Plus, I don't have an allergy to grass like you do, so I can run and play more while all you want to do is stand on the catwalk and survey the land. I always thought we complimented each other very well, but maybe I was mistaken.
Anway, back to the shelter news. You know we call this column a room with a view and it is a very nice view. In the late afternoon, the sun comes in our window and it can get pretty warm so last week we got a roll up shade put on. This way we can still see out, the breeze can still come in but the shade blocks the sun. Just like you might have at home. Why didn't I think of that?
We had several adoptions last week but have already filled their kennels. Don't you just know it seems we have an ever abundant supply of dogs needing homes? Daryl, a black lab mix, Coco, another black lab mix and River, the Weimaraner mix who was in last week's column all found homes.
Of course, we got in a cute little 4 month old puppy named M.J. I guess her owner could only have a dog who weighed 35 pounds and it is obvious she will be a little bigger. She is a gorgeous Florida Brown Dog who some are saying is a purebred. She looks like a brown lab mix to me, but what do I know? I also heard we got in a little, teeny Chihuahua who only weighed 6 pounds. I guess someone left him in crate on the side of the road. Why do people do that? Don't they realize with as many hawks and eagles we have in the area, a little dog like that could be considered dinner. I, on the other hand, am to smart enough not to allow some bird to pick me up and carry me off. Plus it would have to be a big bird.
Ty, another one of our adoptables tried to get a new dove who was learning to fly. The humans who were out in the yard thought it was hurt, but they took it to Venice Wildlife Center where I heard it was going to do just fine. Then these people brought in a barn owl who had been hit by a car, so off to Venice Wildlife the humans went again. That must be a very busy place. I guess they take care of birds like Satchel's takes care of dogs.
I believe summer is upon us. The heat for the next several months will keep us pretty low-keyed since a lot of us are a little older. It zaps the energy right out of us. We like laying on the cool concrete, but I heard Emmitt, another newbie was teaching the new pup, MJ, how to dig in the dirt to create a cool spot for your belly. That is, after all, what dogs did around here before air conditioning. So this is a good time to remind you folks not to try and walk or exercise your dogs during the heat of the day. They can suffer heat stroke just like a human. Also, keep lots of cool, fresh water around and don't walk them on the asphalt. You know dogs sweat through panting and the pads of their feet so don't let yours get overheated. If you have one of those kind who gets all his hair cut, remember they can get sunburned, too, since the hair normally protects their skin and acts as insulation.
If you are thinking about adding a new best friend to your family, please check out Satchel's Last Resort and remember us. We have lots of nice, adoptable dogs who could really use a home. (Of course, we can always use treats and stuff, too, but homes come first)
That is all for now folks. Next week is Boris' turn again, so no telling what he will come up with. I will talk to you in a couple of weeks.
Love,
Natasha


Comments

Popular Posts