Honoring our military even the four-legged ones

Every Memorial Day, I offer up a prayer to all the soldiers who have given their lives for our country. As the daughter of a veteran, it took many years for me to understand the importance of this holiday. In fact, it was probably not until my father died that I realized what it meant. You see, he was not killed in combat but instead from his exposure to Agent Orange during Vietnam. I know he would want me to also honor the animals which served so faithfully with the troops and that is what I do today. Honor all the heroes, human and not, who served our military and are no longer on this earth.
I honor the many, many trained dogs who were sent to Southeast Asia and then killed when their service was no longer needed. Unfortunately, this happened before Vietnam and will happen again. The horses of the 1st Cavalry, who took their soldiers into battle long before tanks and jeeps were used. The animals were many, the survivors few.
Last but not least, I must honor Stubby, the pit bull mix who was decorated for valor by General John Pershing in 1917. He went overseas with the 102nd Infantry Regiment during World War I and saved a whole regiment from a surprise mustard gas attack and then located wounded soldiers. I am sure the men he saved did not question the loyalty of his breed and would probably be appalled at the disparagement being reaped upon this breed, even to the extent of banning them permanently in today's society.
It was an honor to know many veterans of both human and animal variety. Please say a prayer for them all today.

Comments

Popular Posts