Critter comments on state of the state

It is true. I admit it. I am a liberal. I have always been a liberal and have supported many different, traditional causes since the day I turned 18 years old and registered to vote. (you see, I could not wait to register to vote so I would have a say in government.)
In the last several years, I have turned most of my attention away from the causes I have always supported and worked mainly on the plight of homeless animals. I have donated money and time to this cause and have asked, begged, cajoled each and every one of my friends and aquaintances for money, homes, auction items and numerous other favors. I do not regret doing this.
My attention now is still focused on the animals, but I have now begun to fight the mind-boggling, crap which is going on in my state and seems to have everyone split down the middle as far as how to make Florida work again.
In the space of several months, we could lose all our gains in the areas of personal freedoms (separation of church and state, abortion etc), the environment (the Everglades, the state park system), not to mention the destruction of many civil service gains for education, fire and police protection and traffic snafus (Rick Scott wants to do away with the Florida Highway Patrol), funding for our neediest citizens, the poor and elderly, funding for our Veterans all the while increasing his department's budget to over $300 million.
Rick Scott is not a politician. I will give you that. He also does not see the destruction upon the state I love as being important. (he talks of jobs but hasn't shown me any so far)
Florida has always been a state where salaries were low, but cost of living was also low. We depended on much of our agricultural to bring money in the state and despite the fact many who live here now believe Florida had nothing of value until the last 10 years, I am here to tell you they are wrong.
We had it all. Being a child of Florida who can trace her lineage back to about 1813, my family helped the state grow and prosper. They owned groves and farms. They mined phospate and taught school. They were police chiefs and ministers. They were housewives and soldiers. One helped bring the Atlantic Coastline Railroad to Fort Myers in the 1880's. Several served in the state government in Tallahassee and all are buried in this state. I believe the atrocities Rick Scott and the Florida legislature are trying to heap upon this state will cause them to roll over in their graves.
I am only one person. I can only hope there are like-minded people out there who are concerned about not only one cause, but all these causes which could be lost to the budget ax Rick Scott and the Florida legislature are trying to swing.
I can only hope their aim is off and they slice through empty air.

Comments

Popular Posts