Ray Ray and what happens

In what seems and feels like a lifetime ago, I knew a blind dog, actually he could see shadows, and his name was Ray Ray (probably named after Ray Charles). He was picked from a group of dogs being transported back to the shelter I was with because I just knew the people in Sarasota would and could adopt a dog like Ray Ray and give him a home for the rest of his life.
Ray Ray was 90% blind and his only fault was lunging at shadows. He could do everything else a seeing dog could do and I adored him. He would sit for treats, play with other dogs and loved to be petted and played with. He loved the water like a duck and would splash around for hours. If you did not know he was blind, you couldn't tell by watching him play.
Then one day, through stupid human error, he lunged at a person and the decision was made to put him to sleep as unadoptable. Many tears were cried by many people over the unfairness of this decision and when I hung his collar on the rearview mirror of my truck, I told him I would always push for all dogs, regardless of their inabilities, to find homes. You see, I am the one who picked him to come to Sarasota so have always felt responsible for his death.
I continue to do push this every day and will not stop until people understand special needs dogs are just as loving and make just as good a companion, as long as you are willing to put in the time.
So please read the next blog item on the special needs puppy I have listed. A friend sent him to me, and I would love for someone who knew and loved Ray Ray to be able to take this precious one home and make sure they could have a full and long life.

Comments

Popular Posts