Shooting the Breeze by Baxter: A farewell

Okay, so don't get your hopes up. I didn't find my forever home this week. Well, maybe in a way I did. I crossed the Rainbow Bridge today and this may be the best spot I could have ended up in.
Now, don't go all teary-eyed on me. Please? I always conducted myself in a most regal manner and would expect you will do the same. It is actually quite nice here. I really didn't know what to expect, but my leg doesn't hurt any longer. (you remember I had that crippled leg?)
Oh, and treats? Remember how I loved those soft treats? Well let me tell you. There are dog bowls up here simply overflowing with every treat imaginable. No animal will every go hungry in this place.
The beds are as soft as clouds and no one is grouchy because they didn't get a good night's sleep.
I have also run into several old friends. I did speak to Care Bear, who is simply enjoying his time and relishing the food. He always did like to eat. He is also enjoying not having to take pills any longer. I never minded that.
Do you remember that pretty little girl, Diamond? She and I have been talking since I got here. She wanted to send her thanks to everyone at Satchel's for all the love they gave her while she was there. Who knows? This could be the start of a budding romance? I think the old man still has a spark left.
I would like for you to get word to my Mom, Page, and my Dad, Michael, that I am doing well. Please let them know how much I appreciate all the love and care they gave me over the years. I know what it was like to have someone love me, which some of these dogs here have never known.
Last but not least, could you spread the word at the shelter, the other resident's need to be on their best behavior because someone has to take over this column for me. But tell Flaps it won't be him. I already made that known to my friend. He is simply too sarcastic to write a column. I gave her some other suggestions, but she wasn't listening right now. I guess she is quite upset at my leaving.
Tell Winter I am so sorry his home didn't work out. We used to be kennel mates, you know? I had high hopes it would, but maybe it is for the best. Please let Wooly Bully know I am okay. I heard he was missing me. Don't tell him about the treats though, because then he might be in a rush to get here and I am not sure if anyone could handle that so soon after me leaving.
I also heard there is a new dog, Dodger, in my kennel who is more noisy than Jake. Tell those workers they better nip that in the bud or I will have to make an appearance to speak to him about that. Just because I am no longer there, doesn't mean he can disregard how he needs to act in my kennel. I will be keeping an eye on him.
Well, time to go frolic around. I had forgetton what it was like to have 4 perfect legs. It feels pretty good. So don't cry any more tears for me. I am in a good place, with good friends and I will be back to visit. You won't see me, but I will be there.
Love,
Baxter

Comments

Popular Posts