Shooting the Breeze by Baxter

Wowie, wowie, wowie, have I had an exciting time since I spoke to you last.
We have been busy, busy, busy at the shelter with dogs coming and going faster than you can say lickity split.
Harry, do you remember me talking about Handsome Harry? He found a home. Can you believe it? After living here his whole life, he hit the jackpot and gets to go live on 15 acres and be the only dog. Wow, how exciting is that? You see, there is still hope for us long timers. I know this is going to be my year. I keep saying that and I am sure you are beginning to think I don't know what I am talking about, but it is gonna happen. Just you wait and see.
Then, to simply make my week perfect, I was playing and having a good time in the yard last weekend, and lo and behold, I got to leave the shelter. It wasn't even a trip to the vet's office, but a trip to a new place I had never been before. It is called the K-9 Korral and is some kind of dog place. There were lots of people and lots of dogs there and I got to go. Me, Baxter. I am telling you it was fun, fun, fun. I just love to be around people who love dogs, don't you? Of course, some of our other residents also got to go. Bear, Gator, Elsa, and Sheena are the ones I remember. It is such good exposure for us to be around people we don't know and animals who don't live with us. We can work on our social skills and proper behavior. Of course, mine need no work, but some of the younger dogs always need to be exposed to more stuff.
We also have a few new guests with us. Doug, who is a weird looking dog. I have never seen one like him before. Then there is Betty, who is an obnoxious puppy. Whoever thought puppies were cute, should look at us more mature dogs. We have River, who is a beautiful, weimaraner/bulldog mix mix. He came in because the son was busy and the mom didn't want to take care of him any longer. It was a good thing because he was heartworm positive so we got him treated and now just have to keep him calm for the next few weeks. That may be a task since he is only about 3 and is young and strong.
Of course, with the exception of Harry and the two rottweilers, Princess and Junior, we are pretty much crowded and full. You could help us out with that if you are looking for a new family member.
Well, I had best be signing off for now. Jake is raising cain again and I have to try and find a position to stop his barking from keeping me awake. How he goes on for so long is a mystery to me. I can bark with the best of them but he puts me to shame.
See you next week. Come by for a visit. I will be waiting for you.
Love,
Baxter
P.S. Doug, the weird looking dog I was telling you about is a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen. He is about 4 years old and I guess he and his housemate got into a tiff so his mom took them both to the shelter. Then she came back and got his housemate and left him there. So he came to live with us. He walks great on a leash and all the volunteers love him. He just got neutered and is ready to go to a new home. Oh yeah, and he is housebroken.

Comments

Popular Posts