Shooting the Breeze by Baxter

Hello to all my fans. I hope this week is finding you accomplishing lots and lots and thinking about how best to serve the animals in your care.
I know that is always on my mind. Not the animals but the humans in my care. You cannot believe how hard it is to keep up with them. They flit around like flies sometimes and simply make me dizzy. I think they should all slow down a tad and try to enjoy life a little like I do. Stop and smell the grass.
Of course, this past weekend the grass was quite sloppy and wet, so I can't imagine them sticking their noses to the mud, but I had a good time and so did Woolly B. I do believe all the dogs had fun prancing around in the wet. The days were quite nice, the ground was just a little soggy.
Have I talked lately about people who dump animals at the vet's office? I am not sure if I have and the reason I bring it up today is we have another guest who this happened to. His name is Bear, not to be confused with Care Bear, who is a permanent resident here. Just Bear.
Bear is an Australian Shepherd mix who is really hairy and about 8 years old. Someone took him to the vet and then never came and picked him up. He had lived there since October. Can you imagine what he must be thinking about losing his family that way?
He seems like a nice dog, always wags his tail at me and doesn't growl or anything. I am sure his world is upside down right about now and he is still pretty pleasant to be around. I hope the humans can find him a nice home quickly. He deserves that. (I do too, but we will make this about him today and not me!)
Then there is Sheena, who was also dumped at the vet's office. She had demodectic mange, which everyone knows is not contagious and can be treated. She had no hair. Bald is what she was and now she has a thick, beautiful coat. Not as nice a mine, but pretty nice. She is also available and she is young, under a year.
Then there are the poor dogs who came to us with heartworm and had to be treated. Why don't humans give preventative medicine to their dogs? They get their kids measles vaccinations. I simply don't understand how they think. Heartworm treatment can make a dog really sick and if you don't treat it, it can kill a dog. That's right, kill them. What kind of value does that place on a dog if you are not willing to prevent the disease from the start? Arrrghhhh or Ruuuuffffffff as the case may be, it is irritating to watch this.
Well, I am going to close for now. I featured Bear and Sheena both so won't have anyone else listed today. You can check us all out online here , but I don't think they took any pictures yet of those two, so you will just have to pay us a visit to check them out.
Love,
Baxter

Comments

Popular Posts