Swamp people

One of the advantages of having roommates is the availability of cable television. Many of my favorite shows are on cable channels which you don't get when you subscribe to basic, basic cable. In cruising the channels, I have stumbled on several shows which have swamp in the name. Swamp men is about a sanctuary in the Everglades and I enjoy that.
Swamp people on the other hand, is set in Louisiana and is a reality show about different people who hunt alligators for a living.
Many would say this is cruel, but they obviously are not hunters. These men are continuing a tradition which is normally passed from father to son and if their life. the are issued tags for a certain number of alligators and the alligators are skinned and harvested for their meat. They don't over hunt them, kill them with a bullet so it is swift, and then sell them to be processed.
I guess it is no different than raising cattle which are then sent off to the slaughter houses for your Publix ground beef.
These people depend on the alligator for their livelihood. I don't want to watch what they do, but I don't hate them for doing it.

Comments

Popular Posts