At-risk teenagers and shelter dogs

In my new line of work, I am exposed to a lot of teens. Unfortunately, many of these kids are in a high-risk group for getting into trouble because of trouble at home.
I know of several different programs where shelter dogs are trained to make them more adoptable by prison inmates. I know of several programs where shelter dogs are trained by volunteers. I had never heard of the non-profit group which places at-risk teens with shelter dogs. What a superb idea.
As we continue to see the economy falter and the at-risk teen population continue to grow at an alarming rate, why not pair them with dogs at risk of losing their lives from being in a shelter?
I am sure the first thing which pops in my readers's thoughts is insurance. How do you insure against dog bites when many private citizens are locked out of homeowner's insurance due to the breed of dog they own.
Well, all dogs benefit from training. All dogs. There are no exceptions. Many shelter dogs have very correctable behaviors if given the proper training.
Maybe someone in this area would be interested in trying to begin a program here much like this story points out they did in San Diego. It is worth a shot to get these at-risk teens off the street and give these shelter dogs a second chance.
Check out the story here.

Comments

Popular Posts