The moving excuse

I find it unfortunate I must continue to write about humans dumping their pets at rescues and humane societies because they are "moving." I used to kid people about these states people were moving to having big signs as you crossed the state line. Just picture a billboard stating in huge letters: NO DOGS or CATS ALLOWED IN _________. You supply the state.
I know people, including my own family, who have moved and then moved again and never gave up a dog or cat. They have lost homes and found homes, lived in apartments and out in the country, rented and owned and still kept their pets.
So many people who give up their animals think rescuers are stupid and don't realize the reason the pet has to leave normally has nothing to do with moving. It is an excuse and a pretty pitiful one at that. Anything which may cost them a little time or money is not worth fighting for.
If they are not truly moving, the animal may have a behavior issue which just needs a little work. Many of these behaviors, jumping, escaping, destruction, can be solved if you really care for the animal you have taken the responsibility of.
I can use myself as a perfect example. I was laid off 2.5 years ago with a mortgage and bills. I have worked since I was laid off. Maybe the jobs were not exactly what I was looking for and maybe I didn't make as much money as I used to make, but the mortgage was paid every month and my dogs continued to be my companions. I had my cable cut off, made sure my electric bill was as low as it could be, ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly and the dogs still had food and medical care.
Now, call me crazy, but isn't that what you would do if you had an inkling you might lose a family member. See, my dogs are my family and when I made a commitment to them, it was for life. They are even set up to be taken care of in case something happens to me. Why wouldn't others do the same?
Oh yeah, I forgot. They are moving.

Comments

Popular Posts