Finding the right one




















Any time one of my friends asks me to help them find a dog, I try to dissuade them from asking me. Why? Because a dog who I love or I work with or I promote may be the perfect dog for me, but not for you.
This is one of the reasons adoptions fail. I have watched over and over again as people promote a dog, talk a friend in to adopting the "perfect" pet and then all those little imperfections begin coming to light. All those little things that are never pointed out by adoption counselors but exist once an animal comes in to your home: the possessiveness over a toy but not a bone, the schedule to pee, which cannot vary even 30 minutes or you have wet carpet, the love of soft, fluffy beds of the human kind, which you have never allowed.
These are all reasons some animals are returned to a shelter. These are all little things I have discovered about my new pup, Tega.


Tega is actually a senior girl, returned several times to the shelter with no real reasons except she panics if you try to constrain her (no cutting of the toenails unless you want an injury), storm and fireworks phobic, and an escape artist if you leave her unattended for over 15 minutes.
These are all workable issues and we have made adjustments for her to live here. She will never go back to the shelter. We will figure it out. If there is a problem or issue I cannot handle myself, I will contact the shelter or a friend and ask advice. I will then follow that advice.
I want Tega to succeed. She has had some disappointments in her life and I owe it to her to help her succeed.
How do you plan on helping your new pet succeed?
Satchel's Last Resort is the shelter I  adopted Tega from and she has added so much life to my home, brought Elsa back to puppy stage and is a joy to have around.
There are many dogs at Satchel's who have been rescued, rehabbed and now just to complete the mission with being rehomed.
The dog at the top of the page is Houdini. He was also an escape artist. He has special needs because he is EXTREMELY shy and will need a human to work with him over a little bit of time before he will warm up. He will also need a quiet home, that doesn't have a lot of motion going on. Had Tega and Elsa not warmed up, he would have come home with me. He loves other dogs, his kennel mate is named Merry. She is a black lab mix. He has the cutest grin when he knows you and is simply a gorgeous hound. I am sure the shelter will be very picky when it comes to placing him. Could you be the one?
Please continue to support the shelter of your choice. The animals have no voice but ours. Thank you

Comments

Popular Posts