Senior pets are the best

This 95 pound love bug is named Olive. She was picked  from Sarasota County Animal Services. She is a stray that was found on Constitution Blvd. They believe she is 8 or 9 years old.
I use this blog to vent a lot of the time. I call people out for doing stupid and cruel things to animals. It is my blog so you can chose to read it or not. That is part the American freedom of expression.
I have 2 senior dogs and have adopted seniors for the past 10 or 12 years. They may come with some baggage, but all in all, fit in with my household and help me show how I feel about people dumping dogs when they get to be a certain age.
Most shelters have several senior dogs who need homes, but many times these are the best of the best, and the others are euthanized due to different reasons.
The dog above caught my eye on Facebook, probably because she looked like such a sweetheart. Once again, I wish I had more money so I could open up my home to more than two.
When I realized where she was, I did not worry so much because she could not have landed in a better place.
Vintage Paws is a senior dog rescue in Sarasota. It was started by a wonderful person, Jennifer Hummel, who I first met when we served on the board of directors of the Humane Society of Sarasota County. She is the owner of a boarding/daycare facility, Ace Pet Resort.
This virus has impacted her business in a negative way. People who are not traveling, don't need boarding. She also does daycare and bathing and several other dog related things, but her business is suffering.
Yet, when a call came for another senior, I bet she didn't hesitate. She supports other rescues to the best of her ability. She offers boarding for them when there is no room at the inn. She courtesy posts senior dogs when her inn is full. She is one of the most caring in the business.
If you have it in your heart to help support small business and you love dogs, please continue to support Jennifer and her business, both paying and non-profit. If we were to lose either one, Sarasota would be poorer for it. Visit both websites at the links attached and see if you might be able to help.

Comments

Popular Posts