Home needed for special girl

Photo by Iris Eastman
 Satchels Last Resort Animal Shelter/Sanctuary making friends with young people of The Boys & Girls Club of Sarasota County at Nate Benderson Park Monday afternoon.

When I was teaching at Desoto Middle School, I developed a great relationship with Desoto County Animal Services. I put them in contact with Satchel's where I volunteered at and Iris Eastman, who was the former Executive Director. 
She called one day while I was at work and asked could I transport a dog to Satchel's on my way home. She told me the dog was a female Catahoula Leopard Hound and she had been badly injured, possibly hit by a car and needed medical care that Desoto could not provide. The only option had I not been able to transport was euthanasia. 
Well, if you know me, you know that word is not in my vocabulary for something like a broken leg so I went to pick up the dog.
What I got was this skinny, rough-coated, neglected little girl with a mangled leg who kept trying to give me kisses and was beating me with her tail as we were trying to get her loaded in to my truck as gently as possible. You knew she was in pain. You knew she had no reason in the world to trust anyone, especially someone who was taking her to another place where she had no idea what would happen. When we arrived at Satchel's, we made her as comfortable as possible until we could get her to the vet. She never stopped wagging her tail or trying to give kisses.
Destiny lost her leg. It was mangled so badly it could not be saved. That's okay. Tripods have no difficulty finding homes. 
Destiny likes most dogs but she is an Alpha female. She gets along fine with everyone unless someone growls at her or tries to be the boss but she never starts it. She lives in a house with 5 other dogs. She is crate trained and housebroken. She is estimated to be between 5 and 6 years old and weighs about 60 pounds.
She is a gorgeous chocolate chip cookie. a soft brown with dark brown splotches as you can see in her photo. She also has one blue eye and one brown eye, like my Elsa. Catahoula's are also extremely smart, just in case you were wondering. 
Please contact Satchel's Last Resort 941.924.5070 or e-mail info@satchelslastresort.org if you would like to meet her. I have 2 girls right now. I simply cannot take another. 

Comments

Popular Posts